... you never know what you're gonna get. "- Forrest Gump
I love this movie. I really do. Unfortunately, I can't watch it without shedding a fistful of tears. It's one of the funniest, saddest movies ever. This past weekend I saw it and it was the basis for a brunch debate over its meaning. Who debates Forrest Gump you ask? Well, HR and I can debate just about anything. Sidebar: it's great debating with him because he actually listens...not just in it to hear himself think.
The debate was about whether Forrest Gump's story was a tale of accomplishment and overcoming the odds or if it was about accomplishments meaning nothing without experiencing love. I believe the latter, although he almost convinced me otherwise. Although I'm sure just about everybody reading this has seen the movie, let me remind you or familiarize you. Forrest was not a smart man. In fact, he had an IQ of 75, just a smidge below normal. His mom did whatever she could in her power (literally) to make him as 'normal' as possible and reminded him that he was not stupid...Stupid is as stupid does. (whatever that really means) Not only was he not a smart man, Forrest had a crooked spine and had to wear leg braces at an early age to straighten it out. In spite of his handicaps, Forrest went on to play football at the University of Alabama, fight in the Vietnam War, where he won a Congressional Medal of Honor, played for the national ping pong team, met 2 Presidents, became a successful entrepreneur...the list goes on and on and on. In short, he went from nothing to something.
Forrest Gump: Will you marry me?
[Jenny turns and looks at him]
Forrest Gump: I'd make a good husband, Jenny.
Jenny Curran: You would, Forrest.
Forrest Gump: ...But you won't marry me.
Jenny Curran: [sadly] ... You don't wanna marry me.
Forrest Gump: Why don't you love me, Jenny?
[Jenny says nothing]
Forrest Gump: I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is.
In spite of all his successes, Forrest longed for his longtime love Jenny throughout the movie. He'd known Jenny since his first day of his school and he could never get his mind off of her. Even when she wasn't in the best circumstances, he looked past her faults to see her for who she was to him. She played him to the left many times in the movie, but he loved her anyway. At the end of the movie, he finally gets to be with his Jenny, but only after he finds out that she's dying about 5 years after the fact of her birthing his child. From that point to the end of the movie, it's downhill for me.
Yes, Forrest accomplished a lot, but would he have even appreciated it had he not finally had his love reciprocated by Jenny? I don't think so. To me, this movie is a lesson that regardless of how many worldy things you obtain, they mean nothing without someone to share it with. That is all I have to say about that.
What are your thoughts?
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
i think the movie is a combo of both (you know me, always taking the middle ground...). showing that you can overcome obstacles to achieve great things, but also that in the end, love prevails. he's wanted love from jenny his whole life and just when he has given up, she comes around and they find happiness together. and even though she dies, he has little forrest to love for the rest of his life.
also, it's about realizing that loves comes in many different forms, and that romantic love isn't the only kind that matters. while he only consciously recognizes his love for jenny, he's loved and been loved throughout his life - by his mom, bubba, and lieutenant dan. so while he might not have always had jenny to share his experiences with, he had someone.
Was the movie that deep? I guess I need to watch it again. womp. I'm am discovering that I need to re watch a lot of movies these days. I need an adult set of eyes on them.
Post a Comment