Disclaimer: Read at Your Own Risk

The thoughts expressed on Xscape from Repression are just that, my thoughts. The situations and characters may or may not be real. If you read and find that something applies to you, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I say all this to say: read at your own risk. No hurt feelings allowed. That is all.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Growing Up is Hard to Do

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Tootsie and ______ (fill in the blank) kissing in the tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage.

I know y'all remember that right?  Whenever one of your elementary friends had a crush on a guy, you'd tease them by singing that song.  It all seemed so simple back then right?  When I was younger, I had my life plan laid out.  I was always a cross between a tomboy and a girlie girl, but I still knew what I wanted and when I wanted it.  I had my life laid out in 5 simple steps:
  1. Graduate High School and go to College (I do process work for a living, so I know that's really 2 separate steps, but to me, that was one as one couldn't be done without the other) at 18 years old
  2. Graduate College Summa Cum Laude at 22 and get a good job
  3. Get married by age 24
  4. Have my first child by 25
  5. Live Happily ever after...
o_O right?  Yeah, what was I thinking. I mean, I did accomplish 1 and 2.  I should get some credit right?  Now that I've missed step 3 and 4 by a good 4 years, I know that it's not that easy.  Actually I knew it wasn't that easy before I completed step 2 but I was still trying to keep hope alive.  Again, o_O.  Now that I'm wiser older, I understand that my plan couldn't have been more far off, nor is it that easy.  If I'm being honest, the idea of making some of these decisions gives me a wave of anxiety. 

Thinking back, I'm not even sure what drove me to have such a restrictive plan.  Was it an innate desire that I couldn't control, or was it something that I picked up from my surroundings?  As a child, I knew that one day I was supposed to get married and have kids, but why wasn't I told that it's not as easy as it sounds?  At any rate, I know the plan is out the window and I'll have to take it as it goes. 

I'm ready for what's next. ;)

1 comments:

DJ_in_Wonderland said...

Life your life, no timelines, no restrictions. That's why as women we stress, we are unahppy, we are afraid of missing the boat. To where? I don't even know. Enjoy every moment because when the time is right and when you are ready you will get what you want. I'm not even saying it's 3 or 4. It could be anything! Sky is the limit.
D.
P.S. Reading "Eat, Pray, Love" right now. I think you would like it ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
◄Design by Pocket