Disclaimer: Read at Your Own Risk

The thoughts expressed on Xscape from Repression are just that, my thoughts. The situations and characters may or may not be real. If you read and find that something applies to you, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I say all this to say: read at your own risk. No hurt feelings allowed. That is all.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

No Digital Drama for me...

Wednesday, March 31, 2010
I've often said that Facebook is the Devil.  Apparently, I'm not the only one who has seen the light.  Recently, MTV had a show titled 'I have Digital Drama' that focused on the drama caused by social media sites, as well as excessive texting, etc.  I'm a FIRM believer in the notion that I should keep my boos (or potential boos) completely separate from my social media life in order to avoid such drama. This was my declaration when I first joined Facebook (I've been a member since it was in beta and only a handful of schools could participate.  I should really clean up my pics as I have some from 2004.)  I remember a former boo tried to question me on some things that were on Facebook..mind you, he didn't even have an account. Since I was getting stalked by people who didn't have accounts, imagine the damage that can be done by someone with an account. I'm ashamed to say this, but since I'd been in the FB game so long, I myself knew one too many tricks about accessing information.

While Twitter has not become as mainstream as Facebook, the rules still apply.  Social media sites cause people to get messy and promotes stalkerish behavior.  Yeah, I said it, stalkerish.  One of the girls from the show knew exactly who'd posted on her boyfriend's site and knew that he'd deleted posts from females that had been posted within the past 5 minutes.  I know that's over the top, but that's the behavior I try to avoid.  (I don't have anything to hide, but #imjustsayin)  Also, I just don't see the point of following someone on a social site.  Anything you want to know about me, you should be willing to ask and not have to go searching through my pages.  Once upon a time when KG was in the picture, he'd recently joined twitter and knew I had an account so asked for my username.
Me:  Nope, you know the rules (I wouldn't friend him on Facebook either)
Him:  Why are you so secretive?
Me:  I'm not, I just don't believe it's necessary.
Him: Um, um, um (I imagine he was shaking his head)
So I'm on Twitter last night and I see a tweet from Lance Gross that appears to be a response to a tweet that Eva had tweeted about 5 minutes before.  I thought it may have been in response, but didn't think twice about it until I saw this and realized that I wasn't the only one who noticed.
Eva:  So many to choose from...I've been so outta loop...I'm back, let's rock
Lance:  Don't play urself...
At first I was a bit sad to see the demise of their relationship because I thought they were cute in love, then I felt bad that their failed relationship has to play out in the media.  Now, all I want to do is give them the o_O.  Sending subliminal messages to each other via Twitter is a bit too childish for me.  I know it's 2010 and our culture is becoming more technologically advanced, but I think that relationships should take the more old fashioned approach as far as communication is concerned.  Life is too short to spend it arguing back and forth on Twitter, Facebook, GChat or whatever...

2 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Mannnn, I can't even tell you how I loathe FB because of this. BUT if you are the sleuth that I am (was) you find some much needed (break up) info. I learned my lesson. No FB friends. No Twiiter friends. BUT I'm a sucker for gchat/video chat. Ahhhh technology....

Tootsie said...

Well you know the old adage, if you seek you shall find. If you have reason to suspect and feel the need to go looking for info, you'll probably find it. Sad but true. Definitely don't go looking if you're not going to act, otherwise what's the point? I have made a vow to never do such a thing again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
◄Design by Pocket