If it could all be so simple...Ms. Hill
It's time I stopped neglecting my blog. My mind is getting filled back up with my repressive thoughts- the point of me starting this was to get a grip on that. Since everyone's talking about cars these days, it's about time I give an update on my car situation.
So the last time I checked in, I was debating on whether or not to test drive this new car that I'd seen or to stick to the pretty reliable car that I had. Initially, I'd decided to stick with my old car but keep the new car in the back of my mind. Let's face it, my old(er) and steady car had a few problems here and there, but who wants a new note in this unstable economy? I figured if my luck changed, say the engine fell apart, I'd already done a lot of the legwork in figuring out what kind of car I'd be interested in purchasing.
Like The Roots said, things fall apart, not unlike cars. Murphy's law took effect so to speak. All of a sudden my car had a major transmission problem, and me, not being a mechanic or anything, figured that was it. I took it to one mechanic, and of course he said it couldn't be fixed. I decided to get a second opinion, but figured I should check my warranty just in case. Well, it appeared as if whatever was wrong with the transmission would not be covered by the warranty. Tragedy! So at this point, I figured I should go by that dealership and see what that salesman was talking about with the new car. I didn't want to be caught out there scrambling at the last minute to get another car or paying some ridiculous amount to fix it out of warranty. Needless to say, I even decided to take it for a test drive. (The salesperson escorted me of course). I figured it was OK because my old car couldn't be repaired.
The new car was cool, but didn't feel quite right. Maybe it was because I was so familiar with my old car, but all the bells and whistles that first caught my eye, didn't really matter anymore. It wasn't my old car. So I decided to give the old car another shot. Instead of seeking another mechanic, I decided to take a look under the hood myself. I got in to start it and like that, it cranked up smoothly. I drove it around the neighborhood to make sure everything was cool, no problems. I took it outside of the neighborhood, and my baby purred. In fact, I was cruising along down 166 when I realized that I hit a big milestone, 200k miles. I'd only reached this with another car, but this time, it meant sooo much more. I promise I didn't do anything but maybe tighten a bolt or two, but nothing major. Maybe cars really do have souls and can tell when their owner is neglecting them a bit.
So now my car seems cool. I've even let my parents take it for a ride- major because I don't let people drive my car. A part of me wonders what would happen if it puts me down again, but I think I should let my thoughts of the new car on the lot die. Even if I keep getting offers in the mail for all types of incentives, I don't think I can replace the joy that I feel from riding in my car with that of another. Not until I have to anyway...So as I've said before, some cars can be restored, but all are not fixer uppers. It seems that some can even restore themselves with a little patience. Who knows? Time will only tell....
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
very well written. my new take = "f*&* patience". however, it appears as though patience has paid dividends for you. congratulations and best wishes.
Thx B., but don't give me too much credit. I was definitely in the process of throwing in the towel. Things just took an unexpected turn I guess.
Post a Comment