Disclaimer: Read at Your Own Risk

The thoughts expressed on Xscape from Repression are just that, my thoughts. The situations and characters may or may not be real. If you read and find that something applies to you, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I say all this to say: read at your own risk. No hurt feelings allowed. That is all.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Southern Stuff

Thursday, May 14, 2009
So I'm a huge Anthony Hamilton fan. I've never seen him in concert, but I have faith that it'd be worth the $. I need to have him sing @ my wedding (that will happen one day). Can someone make that happen? I digress...

So AH has a song titled Southern Stuff. In short, its about his girl's southern upbringing and the appreciation he has for their similar upbringing. I've always liked the song but never truly appreciated it for its worth until my current relationship.

HR and I both come from southern families. (His is wayyy more country than mine- but similar). We are able to share stories about our upbringing, share many of the same views, etc. When I met his family, there was nothing uncomfortable about it- it all felt very natural. When he met mine, it was like they'd known each other for a while. Most of the time, everything is easy like Sunday morning. We don't have to have an itinerary for our weekends together- we go with the flow.

When I was briefly considering the other 'car', its lack of southernness was a turn off. He was nice, but not southern. Our upbringing was just different so experiences I'd had- he didn't understand. Not his fault, but still...I longed for that southern stuff from HR.

How important do you think someones 'roots' are? Would it turn you off if you and your significant didn't have the same upbringing?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
◄Design by Pocket