Disclaimer: Read at Your Own Risk

The thoughts expressed on Xscape from Repression are just that, my thoughts. The situations and characters may or may not be real. If you read and find that something applies to you, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I say all this to say: read at your own risk. No hurt feelings allowed. That is all.

Friday, September 25, 2009

Family Matters

Friday, September 25, 2009
No really, it does.

I strongly feel that an individual's upbringing has a direct impact on their feelings about family and marriage. I'm not saying that I wouldn't date someone who came from a single parent home or a broken home (insert your own definition), but it would be hard for me. This is not to say that a person who comes from a two parent home will make a perfect mate, but I think that there are better odds.

Personally speaking, my 'real' relationships have been with people who came from solid homes. Coincidentally, my fly by night (not to be confused with one night stands) relationships were with guys that didn't come from a stable family. One particular person sticks out in my mind, Kwame. Kwame was born to parents that never got married. He'd tell you that his father was a rolling stone of sorts. I remember when we were getting to know each other, the topic of marriage came up. He was a few years older than me and I was curious to know how he felt about it. He told me that he had no intentions of getting married. All I could do was give him the blank stare. o_0. When asked, he didn't even have a reason except that he didn't see a need for it. I guess he figured, if his dad never put a ring on it, then why should he? Sigh. With people actually walking around with this logic, there's no wonder there are so many people with baby mama/daddy drama. No thanks...

When I started dating HR, it was so refreshing to be with someone who came from a similar background. He let me know upfront that he held marriage in high regard. It wasn't an immediate priority, but it was high on the list. We both came from two parent homes that had their share of ups and downs, but our parents made a way to stick through it. They weren't quick to give up as so many people are these days. Growing up in this atmosphere made me realize that love really is patient, kind, keeps no record of wrongs, etc.

So if a person doesn't grow up in this type of atmosphere, it will be that much more difficult for them to be in a loving relationship that can endure. Unfortunately, they don't have examples to live by. All they know is what they see on TV and hear on the radios unless they are blessed enough to have close family members that they can learn from. Where are the Huxtables when you need them?

3 comments:

B. Staten said...

I agree w/ your points, Toots. Contrary to your previous experience, one of my real relationships was with someone that did not come from a stable home. It was a struggle, because the general concept of marriage/family and how it plays out was completely unfamiliar to her. Not to mention, all of her closest friends came from similar backgrounds. This left her w/ no point of reference. And left me with an uphill battle. Glad that's over!!

This time around, I found it very refreshing to date someone that comes from a similar background. There's a natural connection and sense of familiarity that gives us a "head start". Being able to relate to the person you're dating adds fuel to the flame of intimacy (not physical) and strengthens the bond.

Tootsie said...

@BStaten. Definitely. I also feel that having a solid family backing you up is needed. Especially when so often people are quick to find holes in your relationship. It helps to have a real life example of what a relationship can be if you're willing to put in work.

Tail67 said...

I agree on all counts! (Although I have no prospect lined up for marriage. lol)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
◄Design by Pocket