The Monday after Homecoming, I woke up and did what I normally do which is to check the tweets that have come in over the night. I'm lame, I know it, and I'm ok with that. This tweet pretty much summarized all that GHOE is to me and many other Aggies who attend year after year. I saw it and was like, yep that's it. Often times people don't get why I make such a big deal about Homecoming. I try to explain and I struggle to articulate my feelings. You would think that it'd only be difficult explaining it to people who didn't have the HBCU experience, but I've even received this same blank stare from some that did. You know the people who go to the other HBCUs but haven't attended a Homecoming since they graduated. Maybe it's because Aggieland really does have the GHOE!
It really is about more than the game, the outfits, the parties and the beverages. No really. I'm not going to lie, I did feel like Outkast was playing everytime I put on a new outfit. On the 3rd day, when you've realized that staying in a room with more than 2 people was worth it to hear the compliments on your outfit, to provide last minute accessories to outfits (you secretly knew that one of your girls would have the perfect something to complement your fit..cha-ching $ saved), to make late night Cook Out runs with, to keep the beverages flowing and to share the 'girl, guess who I saws' with. The impromptu party in the room that turns into a side chick bashing session never hurts too.
When it's time to say the goodbyes (after the group lunch that takes place every Homecoming), and before you can catch up on that much needed sleep that you missed over the weekend- that's when it finally hits you. It'll be at least another 365 days before you can experience this 'high' that you've been on all week. It's time to go back to the daily grind that takes such a toll on your personal life. At least by then you've received enough 'hey girl you look greats' and other random ego boosters from the guys from homecomings past that want to be the current year HC JO, to provide that boost of confidence that will at least get you through the crap at work (for a little while anyway). Homecoming also gives you that extra push that inspires you to work harder at work or whatever that hustle is with hopes that the next time you go to GHOE, you'll be able to stunt on them h@es just a little bit more.
Shoot, I'm still going through withdrawal but it's a small price to pay for the GHOE experience.


0 comments:
Post a Comment