So yeah, it's been a few days since my last post and I'm a little ashamed actually, but I'm back! I had a VERY busy weekend. I went to Toronto with a friend from work, shouts out to L.Mc, for Caribana.
One of the first things I noticed about Toronto is how clean it is. It's a large city, but very clean. The 2nd thing I noticed was that everything was written in English and French- made me want to step up my game and pick up another language..these days Spanish doesn't count. Not sure exactly what I expected when I got to Toronto but when I went out on Thurs, I was disappointed that the club didn't play 'Island' music, but instead they played a lot of hip hop, thought I was back in the States. I was told that the reggae and soca wouldn't kick off until Friday..oh well.
I think one of the highs from the weekend was getting to tour the City Council with the only Black Councilor in Toronto..I've never been to City Hall in Garner or Raleigh..but I went in Toronto, that's pretty funny. Even though Toronto is a diverse city, it's still amazing that there is only person of color on their city council...interesting.
Time for the parade..boy, Saturday was crazy. I had no clue that people could literally jump in the parade with the folk and dance, take pictures, do whatever. Like the parade was not moving at one point because there were sooo many people in the street. LMc asked me if I wanted a picture with the float..I'm like uh, is that safe? She said 'sure! Everyone does it!'. I saw the craziest outfits by people playing 'mass' and from bystanders. One thing that tripped me out about people playing Mass is that the big girls did not care at all if their meat was jiggling or hanging out, it was all good. Am I too self-conscious?
The rest of the weekend was pretty calm, church, Toronto Island...All in all, Toronto is a great city, if it didn't get so cold, I could definitely see myself living there.
Many thanks go to LMc for showing me a GREAT time! :)


0 comments:
Post a Comment